Tuesday, April 19, 2016

No Empty Chairs

Family
   I have been blessed enough to be included on my mission presidents weekly family email, that he calls no empty chairs. I can't help but think this is a wonderful idea so to start this in our family for now, I am going to forward his message to you. Like president Bradley has a pure and rich love for his own family a missionaries he leads. I too love each of you and will always expect that in the end you all will gain your own love of God and join with me in the goal that we have no empty chairs in our family.  
Love you all 
Dad

Dear Family,
I hope your week has been marvelous.  I love the scripture that begins this week’s message in Alma pondering upon the awe-inspiring things of this World.  God directed Christ to create this beautiful planet for us to live on and there are incredible things about it.  From the wonders of the Northern Lights to the beauty of the Grand Canyon, all of it was created for us.  God loves you and cares for you.  Let Him in and let Him work miracles in your life.
With Love,
Grandpa
The Greater Wealth by Elder Steven E Snow
All things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it.

Growing up in southern Utah, some of us sought employment at the many gasoline service stations that lined old Highway 91 as it made its way through downtown St. George. My younger brother, Paul, then 18, worked at Tom’s Service, a station located about three blocks from our home.
One summer day, a car with New York license plates pulled in the station and asked for a fill-up. (In those days someone actually came out and filled your car with gas, washed your windows, and checked your oil.) While Paul was washing the windshield, the driver asked him how far it was to the Grand Canyon.
Paul replied that it was 170 miles.
“I’ve waited all my life to see the Grand Canyon,” the man exclaimed. “What’s it like out there?”
“I don’t know,” Paul answered, “I’ve never been there.”
“You mean to tell me,” the man responded, “that you live two and a half hours from one of the seven wonders of the world and you’ve never been there!”
“That’s right,” Paul said.
After a moment, the man replied, “Well, I guess I can understand that. My wife and I have lived in Manhattan for over 20 years, and we’ve never visited the Statue of Liberty.”
“I’ve been there,” Paul said.
Isn’t it ironic that we will often travel many miles to see the wonders of nature or the creations of man, but yet ignore the beauty in our own backyard?
It is human nature, I suppose, to seek elsewhere for our happiness. Pursuit of career goals, wealth, and material rewards can cloud our perspective and often leads to a lack of appreciation for the bounteous blessings of our present circumstances. It is precarious to dwell on why we have not been given more. It is, however, beneficial and humbling to dwell on why we have been given so much.
An old proverb states, “The greater wealth is contentment with a little.”

It is better to Look up - Life experiences shared from the Pulpit

No comments:

Post a Comment